A year ago, we added the ability to trade through Robinhood in our StockTwits mobile applications. It was a huge hit with our community, with over 40,000 members connected and thousands of trades placed and shared.
Many of you have reached out and asked us to add other popular brokerages, and we are excited to announce more today.
Thanks to a partnership with TradeIt, you can now connect your StockTwits iOS app to four more top brokerages so you can place trades right from the stream.
Let’s take a look at how it works:
1. In your StockTwits iOS application, go into the “More” tab on the bottom, then “Settings,” and finally “Brokerage connections.” You can add, remove, and manage your brokerage accounts from here.
2. From your “Brokerage Connections” screen, click on the broker you wish to connect. this will take you to a sign in page. Rest assured that all communication and actions taken through your broker are handled and encrypted over a secure SSL connection.
3. Once you are connected, there are two ways to place a trade. You can swipe right on Trending or Watchlist to reveal a trade button. You can also click the “Trade” button on a Ticker page at the top.
4. Clicking the trade button will bring up a menu that shows you your connected brokerage accounts, allowing you to choose which account to use for placing an order. If you’d like to add more accounts or go to brokerage settings, you can do so using the gear icon on the top of the menu.
5. Once you choose your broker and click buy or sell, you will see a screen that allows you to enter quantity of shares. This screen will also let you change the order type. Most brokers support Market, Limit, Stop Market and Stop Limit. You can change your order type by clicking the “Change” link under the word “Market.”
6. When you finish setting up your trade and are ready to place it, click the “Preview Order” button at the bottom of the screen. This will show the total price (which may not include your broker’s commissions) and confirm the type of order you are placing. As an extra security measure, we require setting up a Pin as well as TouchID (if your device supports it) to make sure only you can place trades through the app.
7. After a one-time setup of your PIN, you can place your trade and see a confirmation that it was sent to your broker. At this time, you can’t share your trade on the streams like you can with Robinhood. We are working on this feature and hope to offer it shortly.
We are excited to offer even more options to easily trade through the StockTwits iOS app, and are also looking into including these brokers on other platforms in the future.
Please let me know if you have any questions or issues.
StockTwits® is the world's largest social network for investors and traders. Anyone can share ideas about their favorite stocks or follow what others are saying in real-time. The quickest way to get started is to join right now and make sure you sign-up for our FREE email list.